Saturday, February 9, 2008

We did it.

DH and I sent in our initial application to apply to adopt through the state. There really wasn't that much to it as it's just a screening application, but it feels like a big step. We still need a CORI check, a home visit, 24 hours of parenting classes, a completed homestudy, and so on. I don't expect it to be easy, but then again nothing is easy. And unlike IVF this move comes with a guarantee. If we're flexible and persistent we should be matched with a child within a year or so.

I am so excited. As a matter of fact, I'm feeling more positive about the future than I have in a long time. It feels like I've been under water and I'm finally surfacing. I can actually breathe again. I still plan to do one more IVF in April, but I'm not feeling so upset about it being my last. Part of me doesn't even want to do it at all-I'm so ready to be done with treatments-but I feel like I have to, if even just so I won't ever have any regrets.

I've been thinking about something I read a long time ago when I first realized I was dealing with infertility. It's about infertility island. It was written in the blog Barren Mare and I just found it again: Infertility Island I still like it, but recently I found this one. I like it even better because it feels like it applies more to my situation: Getting to the Mainland
I guess DH and I have reservations on the boat. Woohoo!

5 comments:

Carissa said...

CONGRATS! What an exciting step. It may not be the most lengthy and involved one, but still a VERY big deal! Do you know what age child you're looking for?

Me said...

Big huge freaking congrats for taking such a ginormous step! I'm very excited for you!

Karen said...

Thanks to both of you. DH and I would ideally like an infant, but an older infant/young toddler (9-18 months) is fine with us. I guess we'll see what our options are. I feel more comfortable with a slightly older child and less legal risk, than a newborn who might be returned to his or her parents.

Babe* said...

Congrats. I take my hat off to you for taking this step. You definately have my respect and adoration. I wish we were looking into adoption.

I pray that you and dh find your baby soon!

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

I surfed over to your blog from FF. I hope you don't mind if I follow along! My husband and I are doing IVF right now, but if that doens't work we are considering moving on to adoption. Best of luck to you!!